Divorce can be a difficult and emotional time, and one of the most challenging aspects of a divorce can be dividing assets, including real estate. If you and your spouse own a home together and are getting a divorce in New Hampshire, you may be wondering how to sell the house and divide the proceeds. In this blog post, we will discuss how to sell a house during a divorce in New Hampshire, what to expect, and how the property is distributed, including helpful government links.
Selling a House During Divorce in New Hampshire
Selling a house during divorce in New Hampshire can be a complex process, and it’s important to understand your options and obligations. Here are some steps to consider:
- Consult with an attorney: It’s important to consult with a family law attorney who has experience with divorce and real estate matters. They can help you understand your legal rights and obligations and guide you through the process.
- Determine ownership: If you and your spouse own the property jointly, you will need to determine how to divide the proceeds of the sale. This may involve negotiations or mediation to reach a fair agreement.
- Hire a real estate agent: Once you have determined to sell the property, it is important to hire a reputable real estate agent who has experience with selling homes during a divorce. They can help you determine the market value of the property, advise you on necessary repairs or improvements, and help you navigate the sales process.
- Decide on the sale price: You and your spouse will need to agree on a sale price for the property. If you cannot agree, a judge may need to decide.
- Sign the purchase agreement: Once you have accepted an offer on the property, you will need to sign a purchase agreement with the buyer.
- Closing: At the closing, the buyer will provide funds to purchase the property, and the title will be transferred to the buyer.
Distribution of Proceeds
In New Hampshire, the division of proceeds from the sale of a home during a divorce is determined by the court. The court will consider a variety of factors, including:
- Each spouse’s contribution to the purchase and maintenance of the property
- Each spouse’s financial needs and ability to support themselves
- The length of the marriage
- Any other relevant factors
Helpful Government Links
If you are going through a divorce in New Hampshire and need information or assistance, here are some helpful government links:
- New Hampshire Judicial Branch: https://www.courts.state.nh.us/fdpp/index.htm
- New Hampshire Legal Aid: https://nhlegalaid.org/
- New Hampshire Bar Association: https://www.nhbar.org/for-the-public/divorce/
Sell My House Fast with Favor Home Solutions
At Favor Home Solutions, we understand how complicated it can be to sell a property during a divorce. With us, selling your home is simple, stress-free, and straightforward. Our service is free of hidden fees or extra charges – we’ve got you covered! With our fair cash offer, you can start a new chapter in your life as soon as 14 days from now. Get in touch with us today!