Selling a house during divorce in Maryland can be a complex process, both emotionally and legally. In this blog post, we’ll discuss how to sell a house during divorce in Maryland, what to expect, how the property is distributed, and helpful government links to assist you through the process.
Divorce and Property Distribution in Maryland
In Maryland, the property acquired during the marriage is generally considered marital property and subject to equitable distribution in a divorce. Equitable distribution means that property will be divided fairly, but not necessarily equally, between spouses. This includes the marital home, which may be sold as part of the divorce settlement.
How to Sell a House During Divorce in Maryland
- Determine the value of the house: Have the house appraised by a professional appraiser to determine its fair market value.
- Determine how the house will be sold: Determine whether the house will be sold on the open market, through a real estate agent, or by auction.
- Agree on the sale price: Agree on a sale price with your spouse, taking into consideration the fair market value of the house, any outstanding mortgage balances, and any other outstanding debts.
- Sign a listing agreement: Sign a listing agreement with a real estate agent, if you choose to use one, and list the property for sale.
- Handle the sale: Once the house is sold, the proceeds will be distributed according to the divorce settlement.
Helpful Government Links
If you’re selling a house during divorce in Maryland, there are several government links that you may find helpful:
- Maryland Courts – Family Law Forms
- Maryland Department of Assessments and Taxation – Real Property
- Maryland Real Estate Commission
Sell My House Fast in Maryland with Favor Home Solutions
At Favor Home Solutions, we understand how complicated it can be to sell a property during a divorce. With us, selling your home is simple, stress-free, and straightforward. Our service is free of hidden fees or extra charges – we’ve got you covered! With our fair cash offer, you can start a new chapter in your life as soon as 14 days from now. Get in touch with us today!